Dairy-free product manufacturers are forging a new path that allows consumers to take their products “to go.” A wide variety of items, including milk, smoothies, sweets, cheese, pudding and yogurt, are available in on-the-go formulations—and their improved texture, taste and nutrition really resonate.
Who has the time to sit and eat in these days? While convenient on-the-go options are not especially noteworthy, portable nosh-worthy snacks or thirst-quenching beverages made from nutritious ingredients are a bit harder to come by. To help you satisfy your cravings, here are some of our favorite portable health-forward dairy-free products:
- Avonut smoothies are made from a blend of avocados, coconuts and tropical fruit. Sweetened with coconut nectar and available in guava and dragon fruit flavors, they provide a creamy and nutritious alternative to typical dairy-based smoothies.
- Odwalla’s rich almond milk protein shakes made with pea protein and sweetened with cane sugar come in three indulgent flavors: mocha latte, snickerdoodle and spiced pumpkin (seasonal).
- Remedy Organics’ superfood fuel beverages are designed by a nutritional health counselor to go beyond hydration and nutrition. The plant-based drinks blend nut milks with superfoods, ayurvedics, herbs and probiotics to help with inflammation, digestion and gut health.
- Ripple Foods’ Milk Kids Packs are shelf-stable pea milk singles free of the top allergens, including dairy, gluten, nuts and soy. Available in original, vanilla and chocolate flavors, they are perfect for lunchboxes and drinking on the go. And they contain more calcium and iron than dairy milk.
- There’s no need to feel guilty when scarfing down Because Cookie Dough’s single-serve line of edible cookie doughs because they are made with whole-grain flours and sweetened with coconut sugar. Each 2-ounce serving contains less than 200 calories and can be eaten raw or heated for a warm, gooey treat. Choose from chocolate espresso, chocolate chip, brownie batter, cinnamon snickerdoodle and oatmeal chocolate chip varieties.
- The plant-based brownies and chocolate chunk blondies from Rule Breaker Snacks are made from a base of chickpeas and beans—and they taste sinfully delicious. Packed with fiber and protein, these delectable treats have been reformulated to contain fewer calories. They are shelf-stable too.
- Protein cookies are all the rage, but the ones from NuGo Nutrition taste like a soft-baked cookie. Packed with 16 grams of pea protein and no dairy, soy or eggs, these cookies make it more than OK to bite into a dark chocolate chip, double chocolate, peanut butter or oatmeal raisin treat.
- Zemas Madhouse Foods’ cookies, which are made with better-for-you whole-grain ingredients, now come in snack packs. Available in four flavors (chocolate chip, double chocolate chip, oatmeal cranberry and Peruvian sweet potato spice), these crunchy cookies are free of gluten, dairy, rice, GMOs and the top eight allergens.
- Follow Your Heart’s provolone and American snack cheeses are just what your snacking routine has been missing. Creamy and smooth with a mild flavor, these plant-based cheeses are highly portable and free of artificial binders.
- Tangy white American and white cheddar with meatless bacon snack bars are new from GO VEGGIE. These seriously addictive flavors could easily take center stage on a cheese tray or in a lunchbox.
- All Enjoy Life Foods’ chocolate bars come in bite-sized minis. Choose from dark chocolate, rice chocolate, rice milk crunch and a variety pack. These dynamite dairy-free chocolates are free of the top eight allergens.
- Nutiva’s hazelnut spread travel packs are perfect for an afternoon pick-me-up and keep portion control on point. This creamy spread, available in classic or dark, is made with organic and non-GMO ingredients and full of nutritious ingredients like flaxseed flour and chia seed oil. It also contains 40 percent less sugar than other brands.
- When you soak chia seeds in coconut milk, add in wholesome non-GMO ingredients, a pinch of salt and natural sweetener, then you have CHiA ViVA puddings. Loaded with protein, omega-3s and calcium, they have six flavors. You only feel like you’re indulging, knowing your body is being treated to a nutritional punch.
- Kite Hill’s yogurt tubes and drinkable yogurts are all about health and convenience. Made with cultured almond milk, the strawberry banana and wild berry yogurt tubes are sweetened with cane sugar. Its smooth yogurts, available in plain, mango, vanilla and summer berry, have been adapted into drinkable treats full of nutrients and active cultures that make maintaining gut health effortless and delicious.